few weeks ago, I wrote about my soundtrack to the final Secrets of Witches novel. At the time there were really only about two or three songs on the list, since then however I’ve managed to update the list quite a bit and so I thought I would share that revised list with you. PS: If you are in the least bit curious about the spoiler alerts, just highlight the text with your cursor.
Yesterday I wrote how music has the ability to inspire a multitude of things (including several posts about inspiration on my part), but I also find that songs tell a story, and sometimes, quite unexpectedly that story is similar to the story you wish to tell in your novel.
As a general rule I like to make playlists in either Spotify or iTunes that I title with the current title of my book and fill it with songs that I think would be appropriate for the Soundtrack version of my novel when it’s made into a movie that occasionally I listen too while writing to help bring that mood across.
At one point I had created a playlist for Bridge of Memories and even, I think, one for Goddess, but for the life of me I can’t really find either, so I decided to create one specifically for the final (as of yet unannounced title) novel. Previously in this post because there wasn’t much I just named the song, however this time I’d like to go track by track and if possible explain my reasonings without giving too much away.
1. Cease Fire by Christina Aguilera– I’m going to be honest when I say, when I first heard the tracks on Christina’s most recent album Lotus I wasn’t feeling it. Bionic, had been so edgy and exciting that I really wasn’t sure I was ever going to be able to get into this one. (It’s worth noting that I now currently own the better part of the album). As I said in the original version of this post, even if you’re not a fan of Christina this is a song worth listening too because if has an incredibly powerful story to tell. (Interestingly in an interview on the album she explained that she felt Cease Fire would go perfect for a movie, and I quite agree).
2. My Dark Side by Glee Cast– I may not particularly be a fan of Glee any longer, but I literally cannot figure out who originally sang this song, and I absolutely love this version. It’s powerful and it really really fits the dark nature of the final novel.
3. Skyfall by Adele– I love Adele and I absolutely loved Skyfall, though I admit it doesn’t so much fit the book as I find it inspiring and lyrically beautiful. Maybe a few lyrics could fit. Actually Let the sky fall, when it crumbles, we will stand tall, face it all. Might be a bit more appropriate for Goddess of Carnage, wouldn’t you say?
4. Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You by Madonna– I’m a huge Madonna fan as I’m sure I’ve made clear in every which way I possibly can, but this particular song has always held a strange inexplainable resonance with me, and like most songs on this album just fits the final novel superbly.
5. Rehab by Rihanna– In book 3, I wanted to explore a different side of Chris and Eric’s relationship and this song (as well as some of the aforementioned songs) are really about that aspect of the novel.
6. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics/ Marilyn Manson– There are several and varying reasons for choosing both versions of this song, not the least of which is *spoiler alert* new diary that Eric will find himself lost in.
7. Wildest Dreams by Brandy– While a good portion of book 3 is rather dark, I must admit there are some (sort of) happier moments. Including *spoiler alert* a new love interest for Eric.
8. Too Close by Alex Clare– The happy times probably won’t last…
9. Sorry by Madonna– This particular song goes back to the relationship between Chris and Eric.
As a final note, I’m ridiculously curious to see if anyone listens to these songs and has any kind of ideas what the third book will be about.